Sunday, March 11, 2012

The pre-race injury and illness Saga

I seem to be running out of luck … or maybe I’ve pushed my luck too much. My body seems to be failing in the last two weeks. Nevertheless, I’m taking this as extra challenges, or learning opportunities. Once again I don’t know if I will be able to finish the race (or even start it), but it is ok. I’ve come a long way, and I don’t think I’ll stop here. But let describe what has been going on.

The Calf/Achilles

First I got a cut on my heel that left me limping for 3-4 days, and caused me problems on my right calf/Achilles tendon. This one got me thinking that I wouldn’t be able to do Abu Dhabi race. At the end, with some treatment and massages, I ended up finishing the race, which felt amazing.

The Headache

After the Saturday race on, on Sunday I’ve started with a mild headache, but I decided to go swimming at the end of day. After the swim, the headache was a bit worst, but I thought it was nothing serious. Monday I decided to skip the bike ride early morning, as the headache was worst. It seemed like the pain was coming from the back of the neck, just below the skull. Nevertheless, after doing a self massage and taking a Panadol, I felt a bit better, so I swam in the evening, and I went cycling on Tuesday morning (40km). After lunch time, I was toasted. I had to leave the office and rush home while I could still drive.

Wednesday morning I booked an appointment with my usual chiropractic, which normally does wonders for me. I was seen at lunch time, my back cracked a few times, my neck too, a short physio massage, and I felt much more lose and relieved. I still felt my head weird, and that my back would benefit from a relaxation massage, specially around the upper back and neck, so I did it.

Thursday I was still feeling pretty bad. Looking at a laptop screen or a book would made tears come out of my eyes. A friend suggested me a Osteopath, a specialty which I had excellent results during the summer with problems with my upper back. I’ve managed to get an appointment for the same day, and I didn’t regret.

His explanation was that due to the bike position for 3 hours during the race (just look at a triathlete bike picture and see how is head is raised), adding the intensity and amount of effort that I’ve put into during the race (for an inexperienced and old bloke and like me), it caused a high compression on the neck and all the nerves. And the truth is that I was feeling high pressure in my sinus, even though I normally don’t have this type of problems, and also on my jaw, my eyes …

I felt a lot better after the session, and I got permission to keep training, but to take it easy (like I can take it easy Smile).

That evening I went swimming, and I pushed a little bit, but I still felt ok, though some dizziness was still there, and Friday I did a 80km bike ride and 7km run. I felt quite ok, though not fully recovered, so I decided to schedule a follow-up appointment for Sunday. Some reminiscence of the headache is still there, but I guess is just because I have not been giving the proper (or full) rest to my body.

 

The Cellulitis

Friday evening I noticed a very painful pimple on my lower leg next to the shin, that had that usual white tip. Of course, I’ve squeezed it and cleaned it. Not a big deal, happens all the time. Saturday morning … it was swollen, and quite painful. Let’s give it another squeeze to make sure all pus comes out. Interesting … nothing comes out. Lunch time I’ve asked my cousin Nuno to squeeze it again, as it was very painful and I don’t think I could inflict that amount of pain to myself. Again, nothing comes out and the pain and the swollen area is even worst. Nevertheless, I went for a BBQ at a friends house, and by 4pm I almost couldn’t walk or even stand up. By 8pm I was shivering with fever in bed, and I decided to go to the hospital. I found out that I had cellulitis (never heard of this infection before and always thought I was related for something that women hate).

Outcome: Tetanus injection, antibiotics for 7 days, anti-inflammatory, getting around in the hospital in a wheelchair, and I have to stay 2 days in bed with a raised leg. Nice.

Bottom line

It can be all coincidence, or maybe not, but I feel like my body needs some rest. I really want to make the race next Sunday in Singapore, and I want to finish it, but not sure if I will be able to make it. I don’t think doing an Ironman is hard, neither its preparation. Life is Hard, and trying to prepare for one while trying to juggle other parts of your life that are a mess makes it difficult. Something’s got to give, and I guess I have been having some sleep depravation, which makes me more tired and less resistant to stuff. In the past 4 or 5 days I have slept more than probably in the last 2 to 3 weeks before. In average I think I’ve been sleeping something around 5:30 per night, which is too short.

I strongly believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and hopefully smarter. I have been learning a lot in the journey, and hopefully I’ll keep learning and using what I’ve learned. I’ve been getting a lot of fun and sense of achievement on this journey since September, on my first Sprint Triathlon, till Abu Dhabi one week ago, and I hope I can still do Singapore. But if I’m not, there will be other opportunities.

Doing an Ironman (70.3) isn’t difficult, Life is.

1 comment:

  1. Just saw your article.. :) it is really nice :) you have a good friend ;):)... BTW.. reading all you are crazy :). good you are having fun on the way. But you also need to learn how to take care of yourself. Your body in a way is telling you to slow down. Have those achievements but also healthy achievements :).. just my 2 cents as a friend :) Izzy

    ReplyDelete